Main Image

188 & 190 Park Lane

Gazetteer No. G0631

Date 1903

Address Old Knebworth Knebworth, Hertfordshire SG3 6PS England


In 1903 Lord Lytton, inspired by Letchworth, conceived the idea of a garden village, and in 1904 consulted his brother-in-law, Lutyens, before turning to Pepler & Allen for a masterplan. Sites were being sold in 1908, but in 1910 Lytton returned to Lutyens, who produced a revised plan in association with Thomas Adams, consulting surveyor, who had previously worked at Letchworth. Work started formally in 1912, was interrupted by the First World War, and continued after it with A. & J. Soutar as consulting architects, following their work at Ruislip Manor and Hampstead Garden Suburb. There is little evidence of Lutyens’s formal scheme, but he included in it his Neo-Georgian Golf Club House, 1908, on the northern edge of the village. A straight road led up to this (an effect now lost) with Beacon House, on its w side, built in 1912 for the golf club manager, joining up with the pre-existing lane that winds back down to the mainly c18 buildings of Deard’s End Farm, Park Lane. Nos. 3 and 7 Deard’s End Lane are also by Lutyens, the former 1912 but the latter designed in 1901 as a pair of cottages, soon converted to a single dwelling. (Bettley et al, 2019, pp.344-5)

Semi-detached pair of houses. 1903 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for the Earl of Lytton. M-fronted house. 2 storeys. 2 weatherboarded gable ends, the rest of the house in red brick. Plain tile steeply pitched roofs with a central red brick chimney stack. 3- light glazing bar casements. Tiled eaves. (Historic England, list entry 1102729)


Bettley J, Pevsner N, Cherry B (2019) Hertfordshire. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.

Historic England.188 and 190, Park Lane. [Online] Available from:

Also Cited In

Listing Grade


Listing Reference



Earl of Lytton