DescriptionAt Barham Court, Lutyens was presented with the challenge of designing an addition and reconfiguring the entrance to provide privacy for an existing eighteenth-century house. His solution was to design a wing at right angles to the main block of the house. To the north-east, a new living-room wing with a loggia at the end, formed an enclosed east lawn. This enclosure was completed by an alcove screen built on the south side of the building. To the north-west, the new wing provided space for kitchen and service quarters. The north-east and north-west wings were connected with a concave wall featuring an impressive entry surround accented by a massive stone lintel. The windowless façade presented to the village is a balanced composition of small-size brickwork with large chimney-stacks on either end, framing the brickwork detailing of the concave wall and a central entrance doorway approached up a flight of inflected curved steps. (Contributor: Robyn Prater)
Also Cited InWeaver, L. (1913) Houses and Gardens by E L Lutyens. London: Country Life.
Butler, A., 1950. The architecture of Sir Edwin Lutyens: the Lutyens memorial series. Vol 1: Country Houses, Country Life: London and Scibners: New York.
CONWAY, M., 1919. COUNTRY HOMES GARDENS OLD & NEW: BARHAM COURT, RENT, THE RESIDENCE OF MR. E. STAINTON. Country Life (Archive : 1901 – 2005), 45(1153), pp. 142-147.