DescriptionOriginally designed as the British Pavilion at the 1911 International Exhibition, the façade had to be, at the Board of Trade’s behest, a reproduction of the upper storey of the west façade of St. Paul’s. There was much popular acclaim in Rome for the design and the Syndics of the City of Rome offered a site for it to be rebuilt as the British School at Rome. Lutyens was enthusiastic about an academy for the study of classical art, architecture and archaeology; he made a gift of his plans and time spent supervising the building operation. For the school the line of the outer walls of the pavilion were followed and the large exhibition galleries were replaced by an open garden court. The materials used for the school façade was Roman cement. (Amery et al., cat no.180)
BibliographyAmery, C., Richardson, M. and Stamp, G., (1981) Lutyens, the Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944): Hayward Gallery London, 18 November 1981 – 31 January 1982. London: Arts Council of Great Britain.
Also Cited InWeaver, L. (1913) Houses and Gardens by E L Lutyens. London: Country Life.
Petter, H. (1992). Lutyens in Italy. British School at Rome Archive.
Butler, A., 1950. The architecture of Sir Edwin Lutyens: the Lutyens memorial series. Vol III: Town and Public Buildings: Memorials: The Metropolitan Cathedral, Liverpool, Country Life: London and Scibners: New York.
Listing GradeComing soon