DescriptionThe construction of the cemetery began in October 1914, by French troops, but it was not used much. British troops, however, used it from August 1915 until February 1917, especially during the Battle of the Somme, when a Casualty Clearing Station was established in the farmhouse across the road. Burials of soldiers took place once again during the withdrawal and the later advance in 1918, and solitary graves from the vicinity were transferred to this cemetery after the Armistice.
The rectangular cemetery lies longitudinally along the road. The long rows of graves face north, the side with the road. The War Stone is on the east side and the Cross of Sacrifice directly opposite on the west side. The entrance building is on the roadside near the War Stone, which is visible immediately on entering. Apart from the brickwork, the building is not characteristic of Lutyens’ and Goldsmith’s work. The entrance is not elaborated with arches, nor is the round end of the roof typical. Two attractive alcoves of natural stone have been incorporated in the building.
There are a few steps in front of the building to accommodate the difference in elevation with the road. The wall surrounding the cemetery is lower along the side of the road, allowing the cemetery to open up towards this side. On the other sides, the wall is relatively high.95 The ground is not entirely level, which shows in the steps in the wall around the cemetery.
There are oaks on three sides of the cemetery. The side adjoining the arable land is treeless, allowing for a beautiful view of the landscape. Flower boxes have been incorporated on either side of the entrance building. Roses in front of the headstones alternate in colour every few rows. In the original drawing, a hedge was situated in front of the wall surrounding the cemetery. (Geurst, 2010, p.224)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission