DescriptionA permanent Private Hall of the Society of Jesus. Two sides of a quadrangle were built from Lutyens’s designs. The Rev. Martin D’Arcy S.J. appointed Lutyens on Lady Horner’s advice. Designed in seventeenth century Cotswold style, the stone walls are of Oxford rubble with the window surrounds of Clipsham stone and a red tiled roof. The best interior is the apsed chapel with columns employing the Delhi Order capitals invented for Viceroy’s house. Lutyens designed many of the fittings, including the famous Cardinal’s hat lamps, and much of the library furniture. (Amery et al, 1981, Cat no.279)
BibliographyAmery, C., Richardson, M. and Stamp, G., (1981) Lutyens, the Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944): Hayward Gallery London, 18 November 1981 – 31 January 1982. London: Arts Council of Great Britain.
Also Cited InGradidge, R. (1982) Edwin Lutyens: Architect Laureate. London: Allen & Unwin.
ClientSociety of Jesus