DescriptionThe French cemetery was constructed for a Casualty Clearing Station in February 1916. The British part lies behind the French cemetery and was laid out with graves that were transferred from the battlefield of the Somme after the war. The two cemeteries are mutually separated by a hedge and two lime trees. The exit of the British part lies at the back and consists of two gateposts whose style was often applied by assistant architect Goldsmith. The field with graves, which descends slightly, is surrounded by a wall on three sides. A second cemetery, designed by Lutyens and assist- ant architect Cowlishaw, can be accessed via a grass strip through the rear exit. (Geurst, 2010, p.236)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission