DescriptionJ. W. Penfold restored the church in 1883-86, and Lutyens took an active interest in this restoration and prepared his own set of designs for it in 1886. The late 15th century wooden substructure of the wooden belfry was a remarkable feature, and its ‘Vanbrughian air of overstatement’ (Nairn and Pevsner, 1971, p.485) was of great interest to Lutyens, especially as this was his own parish church. (Amery et al., 1981, cat no. 27)
BibliographyAmery, C., Richardson, M. and Stamp, G. (1981) Lutyens, the Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944): Hayward Gallery London, 18 November 1981-31 January 1982. London: Arts Council of Great Britain.
Also Cited In