DescriptionLutyens was one of eight leading architects invited by the L.C.C. to submit designs for the final competition, following the original open competition in which ninety-nine designs were received. The other seven were John Belcher, William Flockhart, Ernest George, Henry T. Hare, T.G. Jackson, E.W. Mountford, and Charles Nicholson and Henry Corlette. The assessors were Norman Shaw, Aston Webb and W.E. Riley. Lutyens’s was the only design to reflect the architecture of Inigo Jones and Wren for such a prominent London site. In the end an outsider, Ralph Knott, won. (Amery et al., 1981, cat no. 179)
BibliographyAmery, C., Richardson, M. and Stamp, G., (1981) Lutyens, the Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944): Hayward Gallery London, 18 November 1981 – 31 January 1982. London: Arts Council of Great Britain.
Also Cited InHussey, C. (1984) The LIfe of Sir Edwin Lutjens. Antique Collectors Club.