Main Image
Photographer: Tim Skelton

Gerrards Cross War Memorial Building

Gazetteer No. G0318

Date 1922

Address East Common Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire SL9 7AD England


The discussion about whether a local war memorial should have a purely commemorative function or be of a practical purpose instead was a common point of discussion in towns and villages throughout the country. While many opted for a conventional memorial, a significant number of communities chose to have a building such as a village hall or, if greater funds were available, a cottage hospital.

Lutyens designed only one such building, where he adapted the stables adjoining the vicarage in Gerrards Cross for a community centre at the suggestion of the vicar, Revd John Matthew Glubb.

The conversion cost c£3,500 and the centre was opened on 14 October 1922 by Earl Carrington, the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire. (Contributor: Tim Skelton)


Also Cited In

Pevsner, N., Brandwood, G.K. and Williamson, E. (2003) Buckinghamshire. Pevsner Architectural Guides: Buildings of England.. New Haven: Yale Univ. Press.

Gliddon, G. and Skelton, T.J. (2008) Lutyens and the Great War. London: Frances Lincoln.

Listing Grade


Listing Reference