DescriptionST MARY: In the SE corner of the churchyard the HANNEN MAUSOLEUM, designed by Lutyens, 1906–7; Benjamin Hannen (later an actor) trained as an architect in Lutyens’s office. Square, brick, with round arches under gables on each side and a carved representation of Christ with arms outstretched, within a mandorla, on the roof. Over the entrance a cherub holding a wreath. The interior is a columbarium with stone caskets and a rotunda of classical columns supporting a Byzantine-style vault of tiles. Adjoining the mausoleum, and complementing it, the HANNEN ROOM, brick and flint in the style of Lutyens’s early houses. Created out of an earlier building by Anthony Hickman of Stevens, Scanlan & Partners, 1976.
The PARISH CHURCH stands away from the village at the far side of a tree-studded green. On the E side the WAR MEMORIAL by Lutyens, 1921. Tall, unembellished cross with a tapering shaft. (Tyack et al., 2010, p.600)
BibliographyTyack, G., Bradley, S. and Pevsner, N. (2010) Berkshire. Pevsner Architectural Guides: Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Also Cited InPevsner, N. (1966) Berkshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin.