DescriptionThe cemetery was in use during the entire war, from November 1914 to October 1918. The various plots were allocated to different regiments. This principle was soon abandoned in most cemeteries, because it impeded the efficiency of the cemetery layout. After the war, a number of battlefield graves were added.
The cemetery lies on a piece of ground that descends steeply from the road. The long rows of graves follow the slope of the ground. A strip with the War Stone and the entrance has been added on the east side of the graveyard. The War Stone stands at the end of a broad lateral path, with, at the end, a bench in front of the wall of the cemetery, which has been erected horizontally in this section. The other walls follow the slope of the ground. The Cross of Sacrifice stands a little further away, between the graves opposite a shelter with storage space of the type that recurs at several cemeteries, such as The Huts Cemetery for example.
The entrance has been incorporated into a low wall, which turns out to be a higher retaining wall on the inside. Between the two low stone pillars, there is a post that is connected to the pillars by means of chains. The abundance of greenery is due to the many groves around the cemetery. (Geurst, 2010, p.344)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission