DescriptionOriginally built c1620, then altered c1850 by Thomas Full. Extensively altered 1874-8 by Alfred Waterhouse for E.A. Leatham then in 1914 alterations and service wing by Andrew Russell for Capt. F.N.H. Wills. There was a rebuilding of east wing after 1919 fire by Edwin Lutyens, where he added a five-bay classical arcade to ground floor with Tuscan columns and keystones to arch architraves. The Lutyens addition is in ashlar with several small 2-light casements set at stair landing positions; Inside there is Simpler fielded panelling in library by Lutyens with integral bookstacks jutting out at right-angles. (Contributor: Paul Waite)
Also Cited InVerey D & Brooks A (1999) Gloucestershire 1: Cotswolds. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.