DescriptionLike many of his small village war memorial crosses, Lutyens’s commission arose at Miserden as a result of work undertaken for a local landowner. In this case he had been engaged by Captain F N H Wills to rebuild the east wing of nearby Miserden Park following a fire in 1919.
The cross stands on a square base in a small garden opposite the Church of St Andrew. Unusually it is both signed and dated (VH 1920) and it is believed that it was made by one of the workers on Captain Wills’s estate. (Contributor: Tim Skelton)
Also Cited InVerey D & Brooks A (1999) Gloucestershire 1: Cotswolds. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.