DescriptionIn 1917 Lutyens was given the designs of the four large buildings proposed halfway along King’s Way at the junction with Queen’s Way. These were to be a Record Office and War Museum, a Medical Research Building, a Museum and an Ethnological Museum. Only the first was ever proceeded with and only the wing and façade facing east, on the north-west of the four corner sites, was built. This houses the Record Office. Behind this a temporary structure was erected. Lutyens’s design, in red and cream stone, was similar in style to Viceroy’s House, but with its colonnade grouped in pairs and with an engaged order on the wings. (Amery et al, 1981, Cat no.432)
BibliographyAmery, C., Richardson, M. and Stamp, G., (1981) Lutyens, the Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944): Hayward Gallery London, 18 November 1981 – 31 January 1982. London: Arts Council of Great Britain.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon