Main Image
Photographer: Anthony Richardson

Old Basing Brickfields office (now The Lutyens Building)

Gazetteer No. G0152

Date 1901

Address 2 Bilton Road Old Basing, Hampshire RG24 8LG England


Early C20, by E Lutyens. Originally the office to a brickworks, and related to houses (see Daneshill) for the same owner. Tall ground-floor, attic window in each end gable. Symmetrical front (south) with a large 1/2-octagon bay window on either side of a central entrance. Steep red tile roof, with massive central Tudor stack of 2 separate spiral flues on moulded octagonal bases on a rectangular base. Parapet design of square rusticated columns joined by open work, resting on a cornice with cut brick mouldings. Thin red bricks in Flemish bond; brick transoms (mullion to centre window) within splayed reveals, moulded cill band, plinth. The doorway is a plain arch within a rectangular frame, having 3 brick mullioned lights at the top, and double doors (each of 4 panels). The gable ends have long and short quoins, the roof falling to a low eaves at the rear. Small upper coupled lights in the gable, and a larger mullioned window at the east end. (Historic England, list entry 1092879) The brickworks stood downhill, within sight of the house. On Bilton Road are its offices (now in the Daneshill Industrial Estate), also by Lutyens, c. 1903, making great use of moulded brick for lively details including two splendid chimneys. (Bullen et al, 2010, p.169)


Historic England. Eartham House. [Online] Available from:

Bullen M, Hubbuck R, Crook J & Pevsner N (2010) Hampshire: Winchester and the North. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.

Also Cited In

Listing Grade


Listing Reference



Walter Hoare