DescriptionThe IWGC did not attribute this cemetery to Lutyens, although the approval form does note him as the architect responsible. The limited size of the cemetery makes it improbable that Lutyens was at all engaged in the design.
Orange Hill Cemetery and Orange Trench Cemetery were features of the country south of the River Scarpe through which Commonwealth forces fought their way in April 1917, during the Battle of Arras.
The field is accessible from the road via a grassy strip and lies in the middle of a meadow. It is encompassed by a hedge. The entrance does not lie in the continuation of the path but has been placed on the side so that a forecourt area is created, and visitors make a turn before entering the cemetery. The entrance consists of two brick piers with a metal gate. The Cross of Sacrifice stands at the other end of the cemetery. (Geurst, 2010, p.380)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission