Main Image
Photographer: Michael Edwards

Park Farm House (Basildon Park)

Gazetteer No. G0293

Date 1918

Address Lower Basildon Reading, Berkshire RG8 8SD England


Further S in Mead Lane, PARK FARM, by Lutyens for Major James Morrison, who inherited in 1910.* Brick, not large, with a massive chimneystack and an absurdly steep roof one side: a typical piece of Lutyens whimsy.

* In 1917 Morrison commissioned Lutyens to design a village with a church which would serve as a war memorial, along with almshouses, an institute and a communal kitchen, but nothing came of it. (Tyack et al, 2010, p.151)


Tyack G, Bradley S, Pevsner N (2010) Berkshire. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.

Also Cited In

Listing Grade


Listing Reference



Col JA Morrison