Main Image

Pollard’s Wood

Gazetteer No. G0134

Date 1903

Address Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire HP8 4SP England


Gate house to Pollards Park House (q.v.) built in 1903 to the design of Sir Edwin Lutyens. One storey and attic. South-easternmost bay and outshuts added later. Whitewashed brick walls with deep plain tile hipped roof with stack to left hand and overhanging eaves. Wide strips of shallow leaded light windows. Wide, central carriage arch. Front or NE elevation with large hipped plain tile canopy on Roman tile brackets above central carriage arch. A dormer with hipped roof and overhanging eaves to each side. Two multi-light windows to left hand of central bay on ground floor and a further window to right hand. A later bay at SE end with outshut on ground floor. Narrow NW end elevation with ledged vehicular doors rising to eaves level and with toadstool-like tapering diagonal buttresses at the angles with hipped plain tile roofs over. SW elevation with large half-hipped cantilevered canopy over central carriage arch. To right hand, a later ground floor outshut, and a further bay at SE end with a hipped dormer above a further bay of the outshut on ground floor. (Historic England, list entry 1332455)


Historic England. Gate at Pollards Park House. [Online] Available from:

Also Cited In

Listing Grade


Listing Reference



Archibald Grove