Main Image

Queens House

Gazetteer No. G0155

Date 1905

Address 16, Cheyne Walk London, Greater London England


The original western and principal staircase disappeared many years ago; Mr. Cave found one of early Victorian date, which he removed. It occupied a space not very much larger than the spiral stair, for between it and the north wall was a vestibule leading to the garden, and above, at the height of the half landing, a small room, used at one time as a chapel or oratory, which exactly filled the west wing. Mr. Cave’s staircase has since been replaced by a larger one from the design of Mr. Lutyens, and for this purpose the small room has been thrown open and its space added to the landing. The balusters used in the new staircase are old twisted examples from a house in Battersea on the Norfolk estate. The landing retains the little chimney-piece of the original room; French windows lead from it on to a small balcony overlooking the garden. The panelling here is new and designed by Mr. Lutyens.

…The present third floor was added recently by Mr. Lutyens. The basement, of which much has been said in various books on Chelsea, presents nothing more remarkable than the usual sturdy building of the period, and some of the 18th century “vaulting” above alluded to.

(British History Online, n.d.)


Walter H Godfrey. British History Online. Cheyne Walk: Queen’s House (No. 16). Available from

Also Cited In

Listing Grade


Listing Reference



Jacques Blumenthal