DescriptionIt is possible that the commission for the memorial came via James Wilson, an architect and close friend of Lutyens and who had worked with him in New Delhi. Its setting is the most elaborate of any of the simple War Crosses that Lutyens designed, being at the heart of a large cross formed by strips of limestone paving set into the surrounding grass. There is a circular planting bed at the end of each of the long arms and a seat at the ends of the short ones. It is a delightful composition.
The memorial was unveiled by Lord Groschen in August 1923. (Contributor: Tim Skelton)
Also Cited In