DescriptionOn the corner of Whiteway Lane, The Grange (Library, Museum & Art Gallery), built as the Vicarage. Mid-c18 double pile, extended to the n c. 1800. It has a seven-bay front with a doorway of pairs of unfluted Ionic columns. The lawyer Sir George Lewis bought the house in 1914 and, in 1919–20, commissioned Lutyens to alter and enlarge it. He added the se wing, discreetly done, partly in matching materials and partly weatherboarded, and extended the ne wing, neatly done in flint with red brick dressings. The interior has been altered but retains a mid-c18 staircase and panelling and some of Lutyens’s work. The garden, though much reduced in size, retains the courtyard by the house as remodelled by Lutyens with e.g. steps formed with vertically laid slates. The Grange had previously been owned by William Nicholson c. 1910, for whom a studio (to the e and now in the grounds of the Primary School) by Lutyens was built. It is a square weatherboarded structure on staddle-stones, with a large, round-headed n window. (Antram, 2013, pp.600-1)
BibliographyAntram, N. (2013) Sussex: East with Brighton and Hove. The Buildings of England. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Also Cited InOSWALD, A., 1927. COUNTRY HOMES GARDENS OLD & NEW: THE GRANGE, ROTTINGDEAN, SUSSEX. Country Life (Archive : 1901 – 2005), 62(1608), pp. 698-704.
ClientWilliam Nicholson. Sir George Lewis