Main Image

The Huts Cemetery

Gazetteer No. G0776


Address Dikkebus, West-Vlaanderen Belgium


The cemetery was named after a row of huts along the road from Dikkebus to Brandhoek, which were used by field ambulances during the Allied offensive in the second half of 1917. Most of the graves date from the period July- November 1917, and the majority of the soldiers in these graves are artillery gunners from the area. The cemetery was closed in April 1918, when the frontline came very close due to the German spring offensive. The German advance was halted on the east side of the village after heavy fighting near Dikkebusvijver on 8 May 1918.

The cemetery has a regular layout, although the rows are not quite in a straight line. It is evident that the cemetery was constructed during the war. It is remarkable that the graves face eastward, a rule advocated by Lutyens. The War Stone is on the east side, also in line with his principles, but apparently this had not been taken into consideration at the time due to the lack of space for the War Stone on this side. There are fifteen plots with graves, with one extra broad intermediate path that converges with the entrance axis. The Cross of Sacrifice is at the junction of the main axis and the entrance axis. There is no central path between the Stone and the Cross of Sacrifice. As the War Stone has not been placed in an elevated position, it is to some extent hidden by the gravestones.

The shelter has been combined with a toolhouse and is not on the drawing. It is of a type used in several cemeteries designed by Lutyens, such as La Laiterie Military Cemetery, Monchy British Cemetery, and Dive Copse British Cemetery. A similar building is also found in the Cambrin Churchyard Extension by the architects Holden and Von Berg.

The entrance consists of two gate pillars and a forecourt formed by the curvature of the hedge that borders the cemetery on the street side. The other sides are bounded by a brick wall. Alder and lime trees grace the cemetery. (Geurst, 2010, p.412)


Geurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.

Also Cited In

Listing Grade

Coming soon

Listing Reference


Imperial War Graves Commission