DescriptionThe construction was started on 29 May 1917 with the graves of victims of the Second Battle of the Scarpe. The cemetery was in use until October 1918. The battlefield cemetery consists of two plots with low rows that have been rotated a little in relation to one another. The ground ascends gently from the road and the wall makes several jumps in height to follow the incline.
The frontal area consists of three horizontal surfaces that have been constructed parallel to the road in a terraced structure. The entrance, with a seat, lies at the lowest level, and then follow the Cross of Sacrifice in the middle, and a plant bed at the highest level. Originally the field with graves was surrounded by trees. Recently, new pleached lime trees have been planted to conceal the conspicuous façade with advertising adjoining the cemetery. (Geurst, 2010, p.441)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission