DescriptionThe IWGC did not attribute the design of the cemetery to Lutyens, although according to the approval form in the CWGC archives he was the architect responsible. The entrance building is obviously on the style of Lutyens, but is derived from a standard design that has been applied in several places and in different versions. This variant, with a saddle- back roof and natural stone, is also found in the Assevillers New British Cemetery.
The relatively small cemetery was in use between April 1917 and March 1918, and was not laid out according to a preconceived plan. Therefore the addition of a large gate- house in this small cemetery strikes one as odd, the more so as the design of a cemetery constructed in time of war did not usually envisage such a grand gesture in such a place.
The fact that the gateway building was later added is indicated by the approval form. At the moment of ratification of the design there is still mention of a small shelter on the axis of the War Stone and the Cross of Sacrifice. At the request of Kenyon, the War Stone, which was envisaged on an open spot in the middle, was omitted due to the limited size of the cemetery. Assistant architect Rew then replaced Goldsmith, Lutyens’ right-hand man, who had already left the IWGC by that time. The greenery consists of two birch trees adjoining the Cross of Sacrifice. The wall around the cemetery is not subdivided into horizontal sections but follows the lie of the land. (Geurst, 2010, p.295)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission