DescriptionThe 21st Division recaptured Héninel on 12 April 1917 and advanced further eastwards in the next two days. After that, the 33rd Division took over the offensive. Both divisions are abundantly represented in this cemetery, which fell into German hands after this. That is why there are also eleven German graves in the cemetery. After the Armistice, graves from the wide vicinity of Héninel were transferred to the cemetery.
The cemetery was largely constructed during the war, but nevertheless it is regular in its layout. There are six rows of graves with three paths in between them. The central path accommodates the Cross of Sacrifice on one side and a seat on the other. There is a double entrance, to the right and left of the seat, so that the visitor does not enter the cemetery along the axis but can sit down on the axis. The entrances consist of two pillars of natural stone with two posts between them. Natural stone plateaux lie between the entrances and the bench, with two plant beds. A third entrance has been made for maintenance. There are two flowering crabs next to the Cross. (Geurst, 2010, p.326)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission