DescriptionConstruction of the cemetery began in September 1915. During the Battle of Arras in April 1917, many casualties were brought in by the Clearing Stations. Between May and August 1918, the cemetery was used by battle units.
The graves lie in long rows that follow the slope of the descending ground and are oriented toward the east. The Cross of Sacrifice has been placed at the highest part, directly adjoining the road, so that the cemetery is recognizable from a distance. The Cross of Sacrifice stands on a platform with a stepped wall that is connected to the entrance, which is formed by a semicircular plateau separated by a wall, similar to the situation in Grove Town Cemetery. With the insertion of the plateau, a difference in height has been created and this is bridged by a stairway, just behind the entrance, leading to the field with graves. The War Stone has been placed halfway on a horizontal plateau, which, via a retaining wall and a stairway, leads to the lowest part of the ground where the oldest graves are situated. The east part was the first part to be laid out, which is probably the reason why the War Stone has not been placed on the east side, and was eventually assigned a position in the middle of the main axis of the cemetery.
The difference in choice of trees emphasizes the divide in the cemetery. In the front part, the trees are largely crabs, while large chestnuts and alders occupy the rear part. (Geurst, 2010, p.350)
BibliographyGeurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
Also Cited In
Listing GradeComing soon
ClientImperial War Graves Commission